Enjoy Easter responsibly with no extra kilos…
Easter period is the ideal time to see friends and relatives, enjoy peace and taste Easter food.
Predict, select and manage your food quantity in the days that follow and you will not gain any extra weight!
Here are some small dietary tips from the Weight Loss and Weight Management Clinic and the Eurodiet Med method of the YODA Day Care Unit:
• Two or three days before and after Easter, be careful and follow a balanced diet, based on seafood – fish, fruit and vegetables.
• On Easter day, have breakfast and snack on a Eurodiet Med food right before a meal. Thus, it will be easier to resist the appetizers. After the Easter meal, have your meals as defined by your schedule without missing any.
• At Easter meal, give priority to protein (lamb, goat, eggs, other meat) and salad. It is important to start your meal with at least 2 handfuls of salad. Fibers contained in vegetables will give you a sense of fullness and at the same time will reduce the absorption of fat from the meat and the other dishes.
• If you decide to eat a dessert, it is best to do it right after the meal, because fiber and protein will delay the absorption of their sugar.
• You can accompany your meal with 1-2 glasses of champagne or wine. It would be better to choose red wine which is rich in antioxidants. Try to dilute your wine with soda (1/3 wine and 2/3 soda), and/or alternate a glass of water with a glass of alcohol. It is advisable to avoid drinking beer because it contains maltose – a carbohydrate with a high glycemic index.
• Move! A light walk is recommended half an hour after a meal, as it helps reduce postprandial glycaemic responses.
• Do not weigh right after, or the next day. Consuming foods rich in starch, sugars and fats leads to an increase in insulin secretion and a subsequent increase in total body water. Weight gain is related to this fact and does not mean fat growth.